Friday, March 27, 2009

Meeting Water at the Land

I always enjoy breakthroughs in life. These breakthroughs can manifest themselves in any number of ways, and I usually take them as some form of ekstasis, or maybe a draught from the Mead of Poetry. So I had a Hegel breakthrough last night: I had been sitting at my computer for about 2 hours trying to pound out the introduction to my forthcoming Hegel term paper. I got about two pages worth written, manifest in several paragraphs that were in need of some syntactual sutures, but overall good material. I even got a good quote from Plato as the opener to the paper, but I just couldn't get a beginning that I was satisfied with; so, tired and forlorn, I went to bed. I was just about asleep, like seriously, I could see a dream headed right for me, when, of course I got the perfect opening sentence and had to slough off all of that nice warm somniferousness (yes, it's a word) and heed the call of my Hegelian hymn! And I'm glad that I did, I slept like only the dialectically-induced can sleep. For all his writings of the activity of the mind, he usually just shuts mine down or pisses it off. But, a beginning is a beginning, and maybe I will be able to meet my goal of 10 pages for this weekend. It's supposed to rain through to Monday, so I'm feeling pretty good about my chances.

Not much more to update. My new job is going well, and I am far less stressed and sleep-deprived as I was when I was working in the pharmacy. On that note, it looks as if I will be able to come home this summer for about 10-14 days or so. I am not completely sure about that, I am still waiting on my income tax return from the state to see what kind of financial situation I am/will be in. But, things are looking good for me getting to visit for a little while. As was the case last semester, I will be posting my papers as I finish them, so be expecting that, though these papers will be a lot more rigorous than my two last semester, and longer for that matter.

My Hegel paper is over Hegel's subtle appropriation of ancient skepticism in his formation of the determinate negation and dialectic, so I will leave you with my opening quote from Plato's Sophist to ponder:

“And in their logoi they collect those opinions and compare them with one another, and by the comparison they show that they contradict one another about the same things, in relation to the same things and in respect to the same things.”


-Philip

No comments: